What Electricity?  

Posted by Vicky Zhuang Yi-Yin

I've always been the kind of person who tried to see the good in governments, even if I usually am typecast as a negative sighted person (it's not really my fault, but hey I'm not going to keep going on about how positive I can be either. You chose to label me, I did not). Just a few days ago, I was talking about the immense potential in this country, even despite the problems that it is facing. But lo and behold, what thanks I get, a twenty minute glimpse of electricity, and then poof! Into the darkness. (The only thing I needed at that time was background music: crickets chirping)

I'm not one for supporting protests either. I believe that it is a waste of time, and most of all effort, because the end result is usually a ton of arrests, and a lot of mediums gaining from the air time showing all the chaos. Instead of focusing on the real issue, it's more about the violence - which by the way, proves to the world that we are a bunch of barbarians, a view that many are trying to negate.

You see, usually I am a person who doesn't care if there is no electricity, as long as I know I can either read a book, or write something (irrelevant to the blog). But seriously, in this situation where LESCO (the designated electricity provider for this region) has decided to cut off electricity for a majority of the day, how the hell are people supposed to divert themselves to other activities? It's over forty degrees - scratch that - over forty five degrees!

Nobody wants to do anything. The heat is getting to everyone, forget toddlers crying about the heat, adults are doing that too! (Except that their way is to snap at everyone and everything) People can't even take naps any more, and forget about that good night's sleep. There isn't enough electricity to charge the infamous UPS, and so the fan annoyingly buzzes in the sweltering heat. While this keeps up, people are already turning into zombies (no reference to the face eaters in the US). Proof?

No sleep. Heat - smouldering hot heat. Inability to calm down (stress). Being disappointed repeatedly. Bad business. I'm sure you get where I'm trying to go. It all adds up to people not performing well in the society. I mean look at it rationally, if a person is deprived of sleep, is constantly thinking about when they're going to see the light of um... light, coupled with the persistent heat that does not go away, then obviously the stress is going to gush out somewhere right? So it happens at social situations, parents yelling at kids, kids yelling at parents, parents yelling at parents, kids yelling at kids, friends yelling at friends, you get my point. It happens at work, lack of sleep, means person can't perform at optimum level, thus reducing productivity, which then translates to an angry boss that you already don't want to cross. Then all of that just spells disaster, forget only the economic implications of not reaching potential GDP, think about it, people are literally snapping at each others, attacking whatever pulls the trigger!

To top it all off, here's a rough estimate of electricity timings: for every two hours of electricity, we black out/brown out for four to five hours.

I'm not going to protest, neither am I even in the mood to suggest a solution, since that's not going to see the light of day anyway. So yeah, currently, the mind of mine is just too busy. Busy ranting about the situation that I am in. I wish I could get out of it, but well who am I kidding.

More on me soon.


This entry was posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2012 at 5:49 AM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment