Social Issues and Their Understanding By Vicky Zhuang Yi-Yin  

Posted by Vicky Zhuang Yi-Yin in , ,

Everyone says that there are tons of social issues going on. But my main issue here is do we really understand what social issues are? We say things like, "Oh, the politics is a big issue!", or "Poverty is a major social issue which needs to be tackled,", and even, "We have an identity crisis." Don't get me wrong, I'm also one of those people. But it really got me thinking, do we really understand them?

I mean we talk a lot about it. We gave it a name. But if we know that there is this thing that's called an issue, then don't you think we should have an answer by now. I mean there are scholars out there who talk about it for years, but has there been a practical response towards it so far?

Poverty, for example, being on one of the main social issues' agenda, hasn't been internationally given a proper standard yet (there are different views to go about it, and different organizations and even countries have their own definition, A Dollar A Day is one of the most basic definitions used to define poverty though, and I'm sticking to that for now). Despite being defined 'A Dollar A Day', many find this standard as not possible to be the same for every country - which I believe is true, in most manners. If we know poverty is an issue all over the world, why don't we first define it comprehensively, find a base line to start off with. I'm not an expert, but it doesn't take an expert to understand that we need a starting line in order to fish out the solution to a problem.

Why is it that we just point out problems and not the solutions? Is it our nature to play the blame game? Most of us say, (another example), "If the politics of a country is stable, only then the economy will be stable". My friend, could you tell me how the politics of a country could become stable, instead of just ranting on a subject? I would just like to know one more thing and that is how do we understand an issue?

Do we look at an issue from just one point of view or from different sources and schools of thoughts? What is it that needs to be done? I don't think I can come up with a conclusion for this one. I'm just saying what's pouring out of my mind, and I think this is fairly good for me so far.


Another rant ended... by Vicky Zhuang Yi-Yin

This entry was posted on Friday, August 6, 2010 at 1:28 PM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment